Sunday 21 August 2011

Judging a Book by It's Cover?

Everyone knows the old adage about not picking books based on their packaging, but do you heed this advice? I will openly admit to being drawn to the siren’s call of a beautiful book cover (although I still maintain that only the content of the book determines if I actually read it or not) and will actually cross a room to further admire said works of art.

A quick detour into my local Waterstone’s yesterday then, left me in a state of general feverishness tinged with despair. Long term readers of this blog will know that since the beginning of this year, I have forsworn buying books until I have actually read all those I currently own in a vain attempt to cure both my book addiction and alleviate some of the stress from my groaning bookshelves. This decision has meant that any visit I have made to a bookstore this year has been a bizarre source of personal torture and yesterday was no exception to that rule. As I looked wide eyed at all the lovely, lovely new books, I noticed a strange trend in the stacks of paperbacks and walls lined with glistening hardbacks. Everywhere I turned there were sets of previously unrelated books, reprinted in attractive, unifying styles.

Whilst it has been common practice for publishers to reissue old classics with modern covers and designs, it seems that in recent years, the trend of reprinting in order to create new, highly desirable collections has blossomed. Take for instance these gorgeous, graffiti cover designs for the Penguin Ink collection. It’s not often that you’d see Will Self’s The Book of Dave and Zoe Heller’s Notes On a Scandal categorised together, but thanks to these new designs, they’ll be forever linked. Penguin’s website mentions that the designs were made by some of the world’s leading tattoo artists, but is curiously silent on why such a disparate collection of British books deserves to be redesigned in this particular way. 

Meanwhile, as the lead picture to this post shows, Vintage have been celebrating twenty one years in the business and have reissued 21 of their top selling titles in block colour to celebrate the fact. Altogether, they make a lovely rainbow effect. Here, the collection has a defined purpose: to make people aware of the depth and range of their signings over the last two decades. Likewise, one can argue that the Penguin cloth bound classics fulfil the same purpose, providing relatively affordable copies of the classic £1 and £2 titles in a more enduring binding. But these are all positive points for the consumer, what about the other side of the coin?

Wuthering Heights re-interpreted for the Twilight generation
Creating a new collection from old material can be a very canny move for publishers. Not only does it open up the book to potential new audiences with aesthetically pleasing covers, it can also highlight different aspects of the books better than any marketing campaign ever could. Just think, would Wuthering Heights have started creeping back into store bestseller lists if it wasn’t for the cunning publisher who noted the reference in the hugely popular Twilight Saga and had it and other classic novels republished to resemble Meyer’s series? Ok, so a little part of me died inside on learning that giving it a black cover with a soppy lily was the only way to market a classic to the Emo generation but hey, if it gets teenagers to read literature, it can only be a good thing.

Whilst most of us big kids would like to feel we’re too sophisticated for a cheap trick like that to fool us, there are some exceptions to the rule. From my own experiences as a bookseller, I often saw covers to tie in with film adaptations sell much better than the normal covers: even when displayed side by side.

Then there are the collections which I mentioned earlier, all of which are designed to appeal in bulk. Some book series have even been known to combine together so that their spines spell out a message or make a picture when placed in the right order. Most of us have had the need to collect the ‘full set’ ingrained into us by hard nosed marketing campaigns for years: one day its football cards, the next it’s the Faber and Faber Twentieth Century Greats collection.* Seeing how lovely all the books in a particular collection look as they’re displayed together in the bookshop would fill even the most casual book buyer with longing through this kind of conditioning alone. Everyone likes feeling that they haven’t missed out, that the collection is complete. Logically, its complete nonsense, but nevertheless, I for one am aware of falling prey to the consumerist trap of wanting them all, just because they exist. I’d like to think that there is some deep, psychological reasoning behind this (like the tendency to overeat because the caveman part of our DNA says ‘See food: eat it’ because it hasn’t yet learned to accept the existence of 24 hour supermarkets) but it’s probably just further evidence of my book addiction.


The cynical view might be to think that repackaging bestsellers is an attempt to wring more profit out of publishing back catalogues in times of economic hardship. Whilst you can certainly make that argument, I think that a stronger secondary motive behind the trend is at work, one which will only help ensure the survival of the printed book. As sales of electronic books rise, it has become apparent that the major differences between a printed book and a digital copy is the added visual and tactile power of it's binding. A book, for example, can colour co-ordinate with the décor, but a Kindle (or any other type of e-reader) could never add value to a room in the same kind of way.
Beautiful book covers may in time prove to be the saviour of the printed word. For now, they stand as the first thing which draws a potential reader to another world and, if done well, can represent in a single page design the content and spirit of the hundreds of pages of writing it adorns. A beautiful book cover is not always indicative of a beautiful book, but all beautiful book covers remind us of why we covet them so much: the simple, unalloyed joy of reading.
                                                                                                         

* Or something to that effect.

6 comments:

Sherrie said...

Hi!
I love walking into a book store and seeing all the new book covers. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books
http://sherriesbooks.blogspot.com/2011/10/musing-mondays.html

caite said...

I don't think taking a cover into consideration is a 'book sin'...I think it is just part of the process of picking one book over any other book to read.
I will admit..I love a nice cover.

Hannah Lewis said...

Hi Caite!

Hmmm perhaps 'sin' is a slight exaggeration, but there have been time's where I've been recommended a book that I would never have picked up because the cover/blurb doesn't appeal to me, and then I've loved it, so I really should know better.

Caressa (Bookish) said...

I absolutely love your Musing Monday and rarely have I ever seen one to hold a finger to it. This is a very, very true idea. I love the collection of full sets, beautiful covers, and of course, brag content of their pages. Marketing techniques, although somewhat relentless, can hardly be seen as inexcusable as it opens more readers to any and most books.
It's a fantastic idea to read all the books lurking on my bookshelves, as like you, I cannot and will not read a kindle, but I love having the ability to read along with the blogging community (being so far behind on many of my classics, I moderate my literature so that I always read a ratio of books I should read vs. books I long to read).
Thanks for the great post. New follower! -Caressa
My MM(video format):http://bookishlybloggers.blogspot.com/2011/10/musing-monday-1017.html

Hannah Lewis said...

Excellent Caressa! Great to have you on bpoard. Keep an eye out in the next few days 'cos therre's going to be some big changes....

Hannah Lewis said...

And hopefully I'll be announcing them without any typos
- unlike the previous comment :)

Post a Comment